Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Um, Clancy? I don't think our dragon's doing yoga anymore."

Sometimes I wish I could be a kid again. I've wished that a lot more since I've been babysitting two brothers, ages 10 and 11. They have some of the wildest ideas and say some of the funniest things. For example...

1. "I'll just put the CD back in the hamburger."
2. "Hi ho, Ninja!"
3. "We got a blister of snow."
4. "You're hot...like the temperature."
5. "Yeah, well I'm not on a boat...I'm Zeus!!!"

Most of these make slightly more sense in context, but I think it will be more fun to leave it up to you imagination. But perhaps my favorite quote from Chapin, the 10 year old, happened today when I took them to meet their mom for lunch. We were all sitting at the table eating, and somehow we got on the topic of college and how I'm majoring in English writing. Finally Chapin burst out, "Hey, Beth! Once you get your literature license, you should write a book about stuff that Clancy and I both like! He likes dragons and mythical stuff, and I like tractors! But don't make it a kids' book; make it a chapter book!" As I sat there in shock for a moment, working through both the phrase "literature license" and a story about dragons and tractors, I saw their mom out of the corner of my eye, holding back a smile as best she could while sipping her Pepsi. I nearly lost it right then and there. Eventually their mom explained, "Well, sometimes writers are like artists. They have to be inspired." But honestly, I'm not so sure Chapin's idea was all that bad. I mean, they made a movie about cowboys and aliens, right? Who says I can't write Farmers and Dragons?

No comments:

Post a Comment